Sunday, May 22, 2011

Guayaberas

My brother in law, Joel, has been sick since March.  We've been praying incessantly for him.  He's finally home from the hospital and I wanted to make him a card.  I'm not 100% convinced by it, but I did promise that I would post regardless of how much I liked or disliked what I made...so here I go.

He is a die hard Miami Dolphins fan!  I mean it.  So, I found some orange and teal paper and used Kraft paper for the base.  I learned how to make these little origami shirts a while back and altered it using the cuttlebug.  Guayaberas are very traditional Cuban shirts.  They come in many colors and are even worn long sleeve to some formal events.  They are very significant in our heritage.  This is what a typical guayabera looks like:

So, my practice paper guayabera looked like this.  
Obviously, I was playing with the embossing folders and with chalk.  

Stickles on the cigar for the label.
And...this is my final card.  I used a stampin up stamp with a starfish and a generic Get Well Soon stamp. 
For the buttons, I used bronze brads and I used chalk so that the embossing would be more clear.  I like the card, although the background seems very simple to me.  I had never tried stamping a background like I did
with the starfish here...I need more practice.  Perhaps after I make another version of it, I'll like it better.  Stay tuned. I have a feeling this project isn't over yet!
I think in the next version I am going to use a banner that says Get Well Soon!




3 comments:

  1. Hi girl, I hope all is well:) OMG! fabulous job on the Guayaberas so darn CUTE and love the Cuban cigar on the pocket LOVE it!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your guayabera cards! I created a card for my Dad, thanks for the inspiration.
    www.JustYolie.com

    ReplyDelete